Doctor Duvel

I'm like a sommelier, but for beer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate New York, United States

Favorite Beers: Orval, Samuel Smith, Duvel, Hennepin, Oude Gueze, Chimay, Dogfish Head, Anchor Steam, and anything made by Trappist monks.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Back at it

June was a month of serious work, sprinkled with a good deal of pleasure. July was the month of chaos. August is the month of general scatteredness. So it goes.

But I'm brewing right now in a miserably hot kitchen and, temps notwithstanding, it kinda had to happen.

On draft is a mediocre Denny's RyePA (I don't like Denny's special yeast frankly--back to US 05 on that one) and a delicious fake pilsner cream ale thingy. Nothing ready to tap up next which is NOT good.

Recently rounding out in the bottle are this year's pilsner and edition four of my smoked marzen. Both taste very promising but will need another month or two minimum to come into full form. In the basement awaiting bottling are a roeslare pale and the batch 200 Orval-ish thing, neither of which I'm interested in rushing.

Boiling a ce moment is my classic, stripped-down, elegant, no-nonsense, house Saison with the vital French Saison strain from Wyeast (all hail the aforementioned). Should be good if I don't do anything dumb.

As much as I don't feel entirely like brewing (laziness, heat, other commitments) I'm psyching myself up to go on a spree before school starts.

Possibilities:

Another Saison, possibly with experimental faux wine barrel treatment and/or brett dosing.
Steam beer (wait for it to cool down a bit...).
Draft IPA, two batches.
Draft Brown.
Draft Porter.
Other random quickie draft beer that occurs to me on the fly.
Vague clone of the Brewer's Art's Clamper's Ale (light pale ale with lemon peel).
Leuven pale ale yeast using thing of vague Belgian nature.
Ardennes hoppy IPA tripel thing (Prolly wait for new hops).
Benediction: A big-ass 3787 thing with dark sugars out the wazoo.

Do I have that many carboys? Not quite...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phew -- thought I was the only one who didn't like that 2450/1450 yeast. Tried it back when Wyeast first released it and appreciated neither the flavor nor the mouthfeel it gave to two different batches.

(I have, though, liked the essence of that RyeIPA recipe made with the American Ale II yeast).

5:40 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Yeah, it's a great recipe and I think the yeast almost ruined it. Unless I was brain dead and mashed it way too warm or something. I really don't think so. But part of the problem is, for my tastes, inadequate attenuation. I'm sure AAII would work and, for the chronically lazy in particular, there's something magic about just throwing in an envelope of US-05. Works great.

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home